Join Mariann Siegert for an in-depth discussion in this video Employing macros and field codes, part of Word: Building Blocks and Macros.
A lot of times, people need to turn their field codes to text.…We can write a macro to do that for us.…While working on a help desk many years ago, I would often hear the same…complaint about field codes.…It's nice when the Table of Contents field code updates for you or a date…updates itself automatically.…But sometimes, that's not what you want it to do.…For example, often a call I would receive was from someone who had created…a Table of Contents.…
After creating it, they would make lots of manual changes to it, such as adding…text that was not in the table of contents, or using direct formatting instead…of changing the TOC styles.…But, since the Table of Contents is a Field Code, as soon as it was updated, all…of their manual efforts will be wiped out.…A trick of the trade that worked for these folks was to create the Table of…Contents only when the document was finalized, and then change the field code to text.…
They could then make all of the changes that they wanted, of course, since it is…
- Using built-in and custom building blocks
- Adding power utilizing building block content controls
- Using building blocks and macros together
- Recording, playing, and pausing macros
- Saving macro-enabled documents and templates
- Employing macros and field codes together
- Assigning keyboard shortcuts and buttons to macros
- Editing and combining macros
- Getting started with VBA code
Skill Level Intermediate
Word 2010 Essential Trainingwith Gini von Courter8h 3m Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Putting Building Blocks to Work
3. Using the Power of Macros
4. Real-World Macro Projects
5. Stepping Into VBA
6. Managing Macros
Importing macros5m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.