Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Designing the wardrobe, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- In this chapter, we're going to look at…the wardrobe for The Assurance…and the process that we went through…to design and create the wardrobe from scratch…for the entire cast.…Now, this ended up being one of my favorite parts…of making the film.…Our wardrobe person was my buddy Bitsy Rini.…We'll talk more about her in the next movie,…but it's important to know…that all of the successes in the wardrobe of The Assurance…were because of her.…Before I met with Bitsy to talk about the wardrobe,…I did a little bit of my own research.…I knew that Bitsy would know infinitely more…about wardrobe than I did,…so I wanted to be informed about what I liked…and what I didn't like,…so I could contribute more to our conversations.…
Now, I went through my wardrobe closet…and I found some pieces that were kind of similar…to what I wanted.…Most fantasy films have a definite European,…Renaissance, medieval influence…that we've been kind of talking about…in this training series.…I really wanted to steer away from that.…I wanted something that felt more unique.…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.