Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating storyboards, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- [Voiceover] In the last tutorial we created shot diagrams…using Shot Designer, but this aerial view…is an unemotional schematic about where…to roughly put the camera, it doesn't really…take into account the composition of the frame,…you know, the composition of the framing of subjects…and the relationship of the background, the lens choice…and the difference that that makes in…the foreground and the background, and so on.…And all that stuff is really a huge part of filming.…So oftentimes filmmakers will create sketches…of what the camera will actually see…as a guide for working on set.…
And these sketches are called storyboards.…Now I didn't have the time to create storyboards…for anything for the main production date.…But after shooting we wrote a new scene,…which we called scene 7B, and actually did…have the time to storyboard that one.…Now these are the drawings that I made…before we shot that, and they're obviously really crude,…but they still served as a helpful reference on set.…Even with my inability to draw well,…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.