- At the very end of this course, I'm gonna give you…a list of my favorite writing resources.…But I'm gonna jump the gun a little bit here…and tell you about one of my favorites.…In 2007, writer-director J.J. Abrams…gave a TED talk about mystery boxes.…These are basically mysteries that…writers create to keep the audience hooked,…because it's like a box they can't open.…When you make an audience curious,…they are interested and engaged and more…susceptible to having a powerful reaction to your story.…One of the examples J.J. Abrams used…was one of his own in the TV show "Lost,"…when those that crash-landed on a…tropical island saw a polar bear.…
- Guys, this isn't just a bear.…(bear softly growls)…It's a polar bear.…- A perfect example.…They don't mention it again on the show…for quite a while, but you keep tuning in…looking for the answer to what the heck…that polar bear was doing on a tropical island.…That polar bear was a mystery box, in Abrams' own language.…As with "Lost," "Back to the Future"…creates an interesting mystery box…
. Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Watch the follow-up episodes to learn more about pre-production, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking. This is a one-of-a-kind educational experience you won't find anywhere else.
- Finding your story
- Building a character arc
- Identifying story beats
- Borrowing from archetypes
- Writing a fantasy film
- Using screenwriting software such as Final Draft and Adobe Story
- Polishing the script
- Understanding screenplay formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Intermediate
1. Story Basics
2. Getting Ideas
3. Creating a Fantasy World
4. Writing the Story
5. Writing the Screenplay
6. Improving the Script
7. Rewriting the Script
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.