If the data you wish to use with mail merge does not already exist in an electronic format you can create a new Word table for your data source. On the Mailings tab, choose Select Recipients then choose Create a New List.
- [Instructor] If the variable data…that you wish to use for your mail merge…doesn't already exist in a file…you can create a new data source for mail merge…here in Word 2016 for Mac.…On the mailings tab…select recipients, choose create new list.…Notice that the field names have no spaces in them.…If I'd like to add a column or field…that doesn't exist, like request date…and hit the plus,…notice though, that if I include a space, no way.…
The plus button is not enabled now,…so no spaces.…You can however, use an underscore character…if you prefer to do that.…But, I just use uppercase, the first letter of each word…makes them easy enough to read.…And then I'm going to add it.…It's added to the bottom…if I want to move this up the list…I simply select it…and keep clicking the up button…to the front of the list.…I don't need title.…I'm going to remove this field.…
I also don't need job title…and I'd like an email address…that doesn't exist.…Add it to the list.…This is a relatively easy thing to do.…Now, what I'm creating here…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges