If the data you wish to use with mail merge does not already exist in an electronic format you can create a new Word table for your data source. On the Mailings tab, choose Select Recipients then choose Create a New List.
- [Instructor] If the variable data…that you wish to use for your mail merge…doesn't already exist in a file…you can create a new data source for mail merge…here in Word 2016 for Mac.…On the mailings tab…select recipients, choose create new list.…Notice that the field names have no spaces in them.…If I'd like to add a column or field…that doesn't exist, like request date…and hit the plus,…notice though, that if I include a space, no way.…
The plus button is not enabled now,…so no spaces.…You can however, use an underscore character…if you prefer to do that.…But, I just use uppercase, the first letter of each word…makes them easy enough to read.…And then I'm going to add it.…It's added to the bottom…if I want to move this up the list…I simply select it…and keep clicking the up button…to the front of the list.…I don't need title.…I'm going to remove this field.…
I also don't need job title…and I'd like an email address…that doesn't exist.…Add it to the list.…This is a relatively easy thing to do.…Now, what I'm creating here…
AuthorGini von Courter
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges
Skill Level Intermediate
Word 2013: Templates in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 46m Intermediate
Word for Mac 2016: Forms in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Personalized Letters
2. Use Email Merge
3. Create Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
Merge envelopes6m 23s
4. Use Rules and Other Advanced Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.