Use Word for Mac directory merge to create a list in a Word tables. Use cases for directory merge include phone lists, product catalogs, and address books, but directory merge can also be used to create Word reports for data retrieved from any data source.
- [Instructor] The final type of specialized mail merge…is a directory merge,…what used to be called the catalog merge.…We use directory merge to create lists,…a phone directory, an email list,…a chart of accounts, a list of products and product IDs…to create anything where we're taking information…out of a data source…and putting it into Word in a tabular manner.…Basically, we're making tables…but if you imagine that you have a report…where you retrieve data from for example FileMaker Pro…and you're struggling to format it,…you could use directory merge to pull that data into Word…and have access to the formidable formatting tools…that are part of the Microsoft Word portfolio.…
I wouldn't struggle tying to bold and highlight…report elements in FileMaker Pro…if I can bring all that data in here…and format it in Microsoft Word.…Let's see how we're going to pull data in…for our directory merge.…On the Mailings tab, very predictably we begin,…choose Start Mail Merge and choose Directory.…Exciting, not much happened.…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges