Use Word for Mac directory merge to create a list in a Word tables. Use cases for directory merge include phone lists, product catalogs, and address books, but directory merge can also be used to create Word reports for data retrieved from any data source.
- [Instructor] The final type of specialized mail merge…is a directory merge,…what used to be called the catalog merge.…We use directory merge to create lists,…a phone directory, an email list,…a chart of accounts, a list of products and product IDs…to create anything where we're taking information…out of a data source…and putting it into Word in a tabular manner.…Basically, we're making tables…but if you imagine that you have a report…where you retrieve data from for example FileMaker Pro…and you're struggling to format it,…you could use directory merge to pull that data into Word…and have access to the formidable formatting tools…that are part of the Microsoft Word portfolio.…
I wouldn't struggle tying to bold and highlight…report elements in FileMaker Pro…if I can bring all that data in here…and format it in Microsoft Word.…Let's see how we're going to pull data in…for our directory merge.…On the Mailings tab, very predictably we begin,…choose Start Mail Merge and choose Directory.…Exciting, not much happened.…
AuthorGini von Courter
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges
Skill Level Intermediate
Word 2013: Templates in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 46m Intermediate
Word for Mac 2016: Forms in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Personalized Letters
2. Use Email Merge
3. Create Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
Merge envelopes6m 23s
4. Use Rules and Other Advanced Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.