Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Changing the plan on set, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- For the biggest single scene in The Assurance,…scene eight, what we call the common area scene,…I'd initially planned a really complicated shoot day…with a lotta shots.…After seeing how long things took to shoot on Day Two,…I realized that there is no way my…plan for Day Three was gonna work.…But because Day Two went so long,…there wasn't anything I could do about it until Day Three,…when I was already on set with the cast and crew…ready to shoot the scene.…So I had two choices.…I could do my best with the shot list as planned.…
This would've made everyone on the crew happier,…cause we could just jump into the day and get going,…and it would look like I knew what I was doing,…and planned the day well, and no one would know…that I failed until the movie was edited together…and it wasn't that great.…Or, my other option, I could scrap all my plans…and make a completely new shot list and…schedule for the day on set while everyone…just kinda sat around and waited for me.…This would be humiliating and I would surely lose…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.