Choosing attachment as your merge method allows you to personalize a Word document—fr example, a report—as you would a letter. The merged document is then attached to the email message and sent to the specific recipient. Unless you open the message in your Outlook outbox you are not able to customize the message text, only the subject and recipient.
- [Instructor] I have a report that I want to distribute…to a number of people and I have all of their email…addresses in a file.…That file can be any of the data source types that we've…looked at previously.…I would like to send this report as a Word document.…Now if I wanted to send it as a PDF, or send PowerPoint,…or something else, that's not what we're doing here.…This movie focuses on the use of a unique mail merge…capability in Word to send Word documents as attachments.…
This document is called Shaken and Stirred…and it's available in the exercise files folder…in chapter two.…You can use any document that you wish for this purpose.…All this report is is a really good cover page…and then a page that says the rest of the report,…and I'd encourage you not to use something huge…while you're testing this.…A couple of page document, three or four pages.…I'm going to customize this.…I don't need to, but I can and so I will…because it's a cool thing to do while I'm in the business…of doing a mail merge.…
This document, Shaken and Stirred,…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges