Join Chris Grover for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding an index, part of Learning Word 2010.
Indexing a publication in many ways is a fine art.…Someone who understands the subject matter needs to carefully choose the…elements in the manuscript that needs to be indexed.…And they really need a reader's point of view to understand the subject and how to…create helpful for index entries. And that's something I can't help you…with but I can show you the mechanics of marking an index in your Word document.…And I can show you how to automatically generate an index from those references.…So here, we've got Treasure Island, our novel.…
We might want to index some of these things, not necessarily the type of…documents that would have a complex index, but just for the exercise, let's…go ahead and do it. Here's the kind of famous pirate song…that goes on throughout the novel, 15 men on a dead man's chest, yo, ho, ho, and a…bottle of rum. Let's go ahead and select that phrase and…then I'm going to go up here. We're going to go over to the References…tab, where we find our Table of Contents, Footnotes, and over here, we find our index.…
- Exploring the Ribbon
- Creating a document from a template
- Saving different file formats
- Editing text with Cut, Copy, and Paste
- Adding tab stops to the ruler
- Finding and replacing text
- Working with header and footer text
- Using Word styles
- Creating bulleted and numbered lists
- Adding a table of contents or index
- Restricting editing
- Printing documents, envelopes, and labels
Skill Level Beginner
Word 2010 Power Shortcutswith Alicia Katz Pollock4h Intermediate
1. Understanding Word and Its User Interface
2. Working with Text
3. Setting Up Your Document
4. Changing the View
5. Formatting Words and Paragraphs
6. Adding Media to Documents
7. Working with Long Documents
8. Collaborating with Others
9. Printing and Sharing Documents
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.