Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video About script breakdown, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- Because everything comes from the script,…pre-production really begins with breaking down the script.…Script breakdown is a process…where you or someone on your team,…usually the first assistant director,…maybe a production manager,…will look at the script, dividing it into shootable chunks…to create the schedule and budget,…and identifying key elements in a script…that other team members need to know about.…For example, during the script breakdown,…they might note all of the props,…so they can then pass that information…onto the art department.…The big things we're doing…when we're breaking down the script…is really to create a shot list, a schedule, and a budget.…
I actually prefer to create things in this order.…From what I can tell, there isn't really a standard,…but usually people seem to create the budget first.…Personally, I don't get that.…As we'll see when we look at a chapter…at making the shot list,…I was actually able to save a lot of money on the budget…because I created the shot list and schedule first.…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.