Join Neil Perlin for an in-depth discussion in this video What to know before watching this course, part of MadCap Flare 12 Essential Training.
- [Voiceover] What do you need to know before watching this course? Surprisingly, not that much. You do need a basic familiarity with Microsoft Windows, mouse usage, file control through Windows Explorer, and so on. It helps to know basic concepts of online information like topic-based authoring and single sourcing, but I'll explain those concepts and others in the course. It also helps to understand the use of styles, in Microsoft Word, for example, but I'll explain styles in the course.
Do you need to know code like XHTML or CSS to use Flare? No. Just like you don't need to understand electronic fuel injection to drive your car. Knowing code can be helpful in some of Flare's advanced features, but you won't be using those features at this stage in your Flare work. In other words, the course is for people who need to shift their company's information delivery from print to online, but who are new to the process, concepts, and tools.
Finally, you do need to like learning things. Flare is helping change how technical communication and information delivery, sometimes called content delivery, works. This course will get you going in some fascinating and challenging new directions in your work.
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell4h 43m Appropriate for all
InDesign: Creating Long Documents (2012)with Mike Rankin4h 59m Intermediate
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.