Variables are small chunks of text-only content that may be used in multiple places in a project and that may change. Consider a pre-release product name that you type hundreds of times in the product documentation only to have to change it to the official release name. Instead, you might create a variable called ProductName, set its value to the pre-release name, and insert it where needed. When it’s time to switch to the release name, you simply change it in the variable file and the change happens everywhere in the project. Learn how to create, insert, and maintain these variables.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] In this video,…you'll learn about variable concepts…and how to create and apply them in a Flare project.…You may often find yourself dealing…with material that might change,…like a product name, that changes from a pre-release…code name to the final release name.…For example here, I've got documentation…talking about a product called Longhorn.…And engineering calls and says, "We changed the name,…"it's now called Vista."…So normally what you would do…is find and delete the old name…and replace it with the new name.…
That works but it's very inefficient.…You could do a search and replace…but what happens when you misspelled Longhorn at some point?…So what you could do, is create a variable called,…let's say, ProdName, and you replace the actual word,…Longhorn, with a variable called ProductName.…And then in a separate control file,…you specify that the value of the product name variable…equals Longhorn and that's it.…You insert the variable and it looks like it says Longhorn,…but in fact what you're seeing is the value…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell3h 43m Appropriate for all
Creating Long Documents with InDesignwith Mike Rankin4h 59m Intermediate
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.