Variables are small chunks of text-only content that may be used in multiple places in a project and that may change. Consider a pre-release product name that you type hundreds of times in the product documentation only to have to change it to the official release name. Instead, you might create a variable called ProductName, set its value to the pre-release name, and insert it where needed. When it’s time to switch to the release name, you simply change it in the variable file and the change happens everywhere in the project. Learn how to create, insert, and maintain these variables.
- In this video you'll learn about variable,…concepts, and how to create and apply them…in a Flare project.…So, you may often find yourself dealing…with material that might change.…For example, maybe your documenting a product…whose pre-release code name is Longhorn.…So you write the word Longhorn…all over the place in the documentation…only to be told that we've…changed the name, it's now called Vista.…And so you have to go through,…and replace Longhorn…with Vista.…
And it's not that difficult to do.…You can do a search and replace.…But, it's tedious and you might find out…that you misspelled Longhorn at some point.…So the search and replace won't pick it up.…What you could do instead is create a variable.…A variable is a place holder.…So you might create a variable…called product name.…And you specify that its value…is Longhorn.…So now what you do…is you insert the product name…variable here.…
And here.…I'll just abbreviate this…to prod name.…And then you specify, in Flare,…that the value of the product name variable…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell4h 15m Appropriate for all
Creating Long Documents with InDesignwith Mike Rankin4h 59m Intermediate
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Add Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs. Targets
Next steps1m 42s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.