A traditional table of contents may seem old-fashioned in an age of online documents but the table of contents is still one of the quickest and easiest ways to give users access to high-level information and an overview of the entire online document. Learn the concepts behind the basic table of contents in a Flare project and why and how to create multiple tables of contents in a project.
- [Voiceover] In this video,…you'll learn basic table of contents concepts,…and why and how to create multiple tables of contents…in a project.…So, the basic concepts of a table of contents…are pretty simple and they're pretty familiar from paper.…Here's a table of contents…and there's different entries in that table of contents.…and those entries point to different pages in a book.…And the same largely holds true online.…
Except that online,…you might have the same table of contents…with the same entries,…but instead of pointing to different pages in one book,…they're actually pointing to different topics.…Here, here, and here.…Because again, each section of a book can equate to a topic.…Typically, we'll have one table of contents per output,…or even per project, but you might want to create…multiple tables of contents in a project…if you want to use different topics in the project…for different outputs, for different audiences.…
For example, here's a project,…and in this project, I have Table of Contents One,…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell5h 4m Appropriate for all
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.