Snippets are similar to variables – small chunks of content that may be used in multiple places in a project and that may change – but unlike a variable which is text-only, a snippet can contain anything that you would insert in a topic – text, tables, graphics, formatting, QR codes, and more. Learn how to create, insert, and maintain these snippets.
- [Voiceover] In this video you'll learn about snippet…concepts and how to create and apply snippets in a project.…You may often find yourself documenting material that may…change, but that contains more than just text.…Such as text and a screen image of a dialog box,…perhaps so you can't use a variable.…The answer is the snippet.…Snippets are containers of content that may change,…but they're not limited to text.…A snippet can contain any content that you would put…in a topic.…
So for example I have two topics here, labeled A and B.…And each one contains a screenshot of the print dialog box…along with some accompanying text.…And then let's say the text below the box has to change.…You could go in and change each instance by hand,…but that's very inefficient.…What you could do instead is again, remove this material…and replace it with a snippet.…
Called, let's say, the snippet, the print dialog box…snippet equals and then you say the print dialog box snippet…consists of the screenshot and the text.…So now you can put that in.…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell3h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating Long Documents with InDesignwith Mike Rankin4h 59m Intermediate
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.