Hyperlinks and cross-references are widely used but have one drawback – when they jump users from topic A to topic B, they break the information flow of the topic. Popups and dropdowns keep user in the main topic and fetch the target information in a window that pops open or a section of the screen that stretches down. Learn the difference between popups and dropdowns and see how to easily and quickly create them.
- [Voiceover] In this video,…you'll learn how to create popup and dropdown links…and see the differences between them.…So, let's take a look at the differences first.…I've got a popup topic which contains a popup link…that points to another topic.…And, when the user clicks the popup link,…the target topic shows up in a window…that pops open on top of the screen.…When I create a dropdown link,…what happens is the dropdown material…appears below the dropdown.…
So, there's really two differences with the popup.…Obviously, a window pops up,…you don't control where that window goes.…Windows, Microsoft Windows, controls that.…And, a popup is convenient but it will wind up…covering something on the screen…that your user might want to see.…With a dropdown link,…it's as if the screen turns to rubber.…When the user clicks the link,…it drops down, displays the link content,…and when the user finishes, just click the link again…and it rolls up like rolling a window shade up and down.…
So, let's go ahead and create first a popup.…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell5h 29m Intermediate
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Intermediate
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.