Flare distinguishes between outputs and targets. An output is a format, such as PDF or HTML5; a target is a specific instance of an output for a specific audience, such as PDF – US or HTML5 – Canada. Learn more about the differences between outputs and targets, including the most commonly used outputs for online and print and suggestions for naming your targets to avoid confusion.
- [Voiceover] In this video you'll learn the difference…between an output format and an output target.…So if you look at my screen, we have the project…over on the left, and the project is…the collection of everything we've been working on so far,…the topics, the table of contents, the variables,…the snippets, the conditions and so on.…What we have to the right are the different outputs.…The different output formats.…So, what's the difference between an output format…and an output target?…An output format is simply a technical specification.…
What is the technology of the output?…So for example, Word is literally an output format.…PDF is an output format.…HTML5 is an output format, and so on.…Flare actually offers 16 different types of output formats,…although the most common types nowadays…are HTML5 for online and PDF for print.…Word is used but not that often.…
FrameMaker is used but not that often.…WebHelp is used but it's declining,…it's an older technology that's being replaced by HTML5.…So an output is simply the technical specification.…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell5h 29m Appropriate for all
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.