If you get new material written in Word or FrameMaker by subject matter experts who don’t use Flare, you can easily add it to your Flare project. Learn how to import that material and see various import options.
- [Voiceover] In this video,…you'll learn how to import…Word files into a Flare project.…The steps are the same,…if you want to import FrameMaker files.…So we'll cover both types in this one video.…You might want to import a Word document…into a project,…if a subject matter expert created…some material in Word form.…Here is a sketch of a Word document…to illustrate a point,…which is that…this document has a Head 1…and some Head 2's.…When you import a file,…into Flare,…it will scan the document,…looking for the presence of Head Styles,…and it will come back and say…in this case,…I found Head 1 and Head 2…and ask you on which level…do you want to break the incoming document…at the topics?…If you say Head 1,…you're going to wind up with one topic,…based on the Head 1.…
But if you say break it on Head 1…and Head 2,…you're going to wind up…with three topics.…One for the Head 1,…and one for each of the Head 2's.…So this is a tremendously useful way…to break a large multi-hundred page Word,…or FrameMaker document,…up into separate topics…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell5h 29m Intermediate
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Intermediate
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.