Join Neil Perlin for an in-depth discussion in this video ✓ Challenge 12: Create a variable, part of MadCap Flare 12 Essential Training.
- [Voiceover] Variables and snippets…are second only to conditionality…as core functions of single sourcing.…In this challenge, you'll create,…insert, and modify a variable.…First you'll create a new variable called Spaniel breed.…And set it's value to Cocker Spaniel,…following the process described in the earlier video.…Do a save all.…Then open the Spaniels topic,…add a line at the top and type my favorite breed is a...…add a line at the top and type my favorite breed is a...…
A space and a period.…And then insert the Spaniel breed variable…before the period.…You'll see that the sentence now says…my favorite breed is the Cocker Spaniel.…Cocker Spaniel has a gray background…to indicate that it's a variable.…Only you will see the background.…To users it will look just like normal text.…You can turn off the background during development…by selecting the show tax pull down…and deselecting the highlight variables option…about two-thirds of the way down,…but without a visual indication that this text is a variable…you're bound to mistake it for regular text…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell5h 29m Appropriate for all
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Adding Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs Targets
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.