Cascading Stylesheets (CSS) let you control the formatting of your content and are one of the backbone technologies behind Flare. Learn the basic concepts of CSS, the hierarchy of how styles are applied from an external stylesheet, embedding, and the dreaded local or inline formatting.
- [Voiceover] In this video, you'll learn…the basic concepts behind Cascading Style Sheets,…the interaction between external, embedded,…and inline styles.…Note that CSS can seem impenetrable…when you first get into it,…but if you understand the basic logic behind CSS,…it all starts to make sense.…So the first concept we'll look at…is what's called the cascade of styles.…In other words, how styles affect your material…with different priorities depending on…where those styles come from or how they're applied.…
So on the screen on the left, I have two topics…labeled Topic 1 and Topic 2,…and over on the right I have a style sheet,…that I just called MyCSS.css.…If you look at the topics, each topic has…a top section called the head section,…a lower section called the body section.…The head section is where all the program code goes.…There's also a lot of code in the body section,…but the body section is where the user material goes.…
And you'll see that each topic has a Head 1,…one or more Heading 2s, and one or more P tags,…
- Creating content using topics
- Adding and managing topics
- Importing files
- Inserting graphics
- Creating a table of contents, glossary, and cross-references
- Adding hyperlinks
- Formatting documents with stylesheets
- Creating master pages
- Single sourcing content
- Using variables and snippets
- Generating output
Skill Level Beginner
Universal Principles of Designwith William Lidwell5h 4m Appropriate for all
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Add Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs. Targets
Next steps1m 42s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.