Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video What you need for this course, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] There are a few things that you'll need if you wish to work along with the demonstrations in this course. You'll need some software. This is a Word 2016 Mail Merge course, so I'm assuming that if you wanna work along, you'll have Word 2016. If you don't have Word 2016 and you want to know how to do Mail Merge in whatever version of Word you have, look in the lynda.com training library and you'll find a merge course for your version of Word. We'll also be working with some of the other applications in Office.
For example, I'm going to show you how to use a data set in Excel or how to create a data set that you can use with Word, and Word will use Access to do that. And I'll show you how to merge to your Outlook contacts how to merge email messages. So if you want to be able to work in Excel, Access, and Outlook, you'll need to have that software. If you only have Excel, don't worry about it. I'll show you how to do Mail Merge in Excel. But if you want to know how to do Mail Merge with data sources created with all of the Office applications, you'll wanna have access to them.
This is not a beginning Word course. I'm assuming you come with some prior experience in Microsoft Word, that you know how to create, format, and save documents. And to work along with the demonstrations on merging email messages, you'll want to know how to do some work in Outlook, specifically how to create and send email messages. The prerequisite list for this course isn't long, but it is specific. Make sure you have the right software and the right experiences, and you have everything you need to be successful in this course.
- Choosing a data source
- Creating a new data source
- Using Mail Merge with Outlook contacts
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Inserting address blocks, greetings, and other fields
- Matching fields from a data source
- Formatting numeric data and dates
- Creating personalized email messages
- Attaching Word documents to merged emails
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges: FILLIN, ASK, and IF…THEN…ELSE