Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Matching fields from the data source, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] When we select a data source,…Word loads the field or column names…used in that data source…as soon as it makes the connection.…So I've chosen an existing list…and the one that I'll be using going forward…is from our Exercise Files,…and it's actually Catalog Requests.…So let's go grab that if we didn't have it already.…And it's Catalog Requests, xlsx.…Catalog Requests, I'm going to say OK.…And already now, we can see that…Last Name, First Name and so on…have been loaded here.…
All of the information is available.…One of the things that we want to do…before we go forward is we want to make sure…that the column names that are used in our data source…match up with what Word is expecting to see…in terms of column names.…For example, in a list of people,…Word's looking for Last Name.…It's not looking for family name.…It's looking for First Name, not for given name…or on some lists you'll see a Christian name.…It's looking for Street Address, not street one,…street two, street three and so on.…
Now if you're not sure if the data you have coming in…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Choosing a data source
- Creating a new data source
- Using Mail Merge with Outlook contacts
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Inserting address blocks, greetings, and other fields
- Matching fields from a data source
- Formatting numeric data and dates
- Creating personalized email messages
- Attaching Word documents to merged emails
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges: FILLIN, ASK, and IF…THEN…ELSE
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.