Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Using IF-THEN-ELSE for intelligent merging, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] One final use case…to introduce us to using if then else…for intelligent merging in Word 2016.…This is request by org type.…It's the same data that we've been working with…but with the addition of one…more column between zip and phone.…That column indicates what type of organization…Michelle or Nehru or Pearl are associated with.…We have four kinds.…We have agents, and those are people…who are planning meetings,…and therefore are booking them for clients.…
We then have organizations that…would be booking for themselves,…not for profits, corporations and governmental units.…So we're going to modify the letter to look for agents,…and when someone is an agent we're going…to give them a slightly different spin…on the end of the first paragraph then we will…for the folks who are booking for their own use.…We'll effectively tell Word, look at org type.…If it's agent, do the first thing.…If it's not agent, do the second.…We could nest more of these if we wish.…
We could say if it's agent, do this.…If it's not agent but it's government, do this.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Name the tab where the Mail Merge button resides on the ribbon.
- Recall the button in the New aAdress List dialog box that is used to change the columns that you use when creating a new entry.
- Explain how to select only a few rows from an Excel sheet as a data source.
- List the things that the Preview Results section on the Mailings tab lets you look at.
- Name the finishing option you should use to save the results of the merge in one file.
- Recognize the options on the Labels tab of the Envelopes and Labels dialog box.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.