Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Inserting address blocks, greeting lines, and merge fields, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- This primary merge document,…Merge Brochure Matched,…which we saved in the prior movie,…includes the connection to our data source,…which is the Excel worksheet that includes field matching.…So, we have all of our fields mapped…from our data source to here.…Now it's time to actually insert placeholders…for those fields into our letter,…so that we have a placeholder replacing…everywhere there's static text that it should be variable.…All of this is wicked easy in Word 2016.…Let's start with our letter,…and there are several ways that we can insert fields.…
For example, down here we have a first name,…and, if I wanted to, all I need to do…is insert the first name field.…In the Write & Insert Fields group on the mailings tab,…go to Insert Merge Field, and there is first name.…Because I had Lilah selected, it replaced it,…so now I have a first name that will go there.…Notice chevrons surrounding it.…Those aren't things that you can simply type…with 'less than' symbols on the keyboard.…That's actually a field tag.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Name the tab where the Mail Merge button resides on the ribbon.
- Recall the button in the New aAdress List dialog box that is used to change the columns that you use when creating a new entry.
- Explain how to select only a few rows from an Excel sheet as a data source.
- List the things that the Preview Results section on the Mailings tab lets you look at.
- Name the finishing option you should use to save the results of the merge in one file.
- Recognize the options on the Labels tab of the Envelopes and Labels dialog box.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.