Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Simulating the merge, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] I've opened up the final version…of our Merge Brochure letter on the Mailings tab.…Again, you can preview the results…really quickly and easily.…If you wanna look for someone specific…to see how their merge was treated, you can do that.…Choose Find Recipient.…If I wanted to look, for example,…for Dave's information, I know I'm looking…in First Name, so let's find the next Dave.…Right there, he's the only Dave,…and I can see that it handled his address and greeting…and first name here in the way…that I would have expected it to.…
So if I have some pieces of data where I,…for example, don't have a first name…or I don't have a last name, I might wanna check…to see how those specific records were being handled…by using Preview and using Find.…We can also ask Word to check to see…if there are some errors.…In the Preview Results section,…click Check For Errors, and one of my choices…is to simulate the merge and give me…any errors in a new document.…So Word is going to attempt to do a merge…and let me know if there are any errors.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Name the tab where the Mail Merge button resides on the ribbon.
- Recall the button in the New aAdress List dialog box that is used to change the columns that you use when creating a new entry.
- Explain how to select only a few rows from an Excel sheet as a data source.
- List the things that the Preview Results section on the Mailings tab lets you look at.
- Name the finishing option you should use to save the results of the merge in one file.
- Recognize the options on the Labels tab of the Envelopes and Labels dialog box.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.