Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Formatting numeric Labels in Excel, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] I have our Catalog Requests data source open…that we've been using for our mail merge…so that we can talk about retaining formatting…and how that happens.…There are two broad types of issues that arise…with numeric formatting and date formatting,…and as with the troubleshooting tips that I covered in…the last movie, it always helps to be clear whether…we're fixing an error in the data source or we're fixing…an error that's occurring in the merge document.…The first type of error arises…when you've done your mail merge and you find…that you have numbers that are not really numeric values.…
They're more like labels that are dropping…leading or trailing zeros,…and a prime example of that is if we do a mail merge…with the data and the zip code for Gilford, New Hampshire…is no longer 03249; it's simply 3249.…That's not an unusual error,…and it arises because the data that we've entered here…in Excel is sometimes entered with someone simply…clicking and typing an apostrophe.…This is really old-school, but we all have lots…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Choosing a data source
- Creating a new data source
- Using Mail Merge with Outlook contacts
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Inserting address blocks, greetings, and other fields
- Matching fields from a data source
- Formatting numeric data and dates
- Creating personalized email messages
- Attaching Word documents to merged emails
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges: FILLIN, ASK, and IF…THEN…ELSE
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.