Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Fixing numeric and date formats in Word, part of Mail Merge in Depth with Word 2016.
- [Voiceover] The other issue we have…shows up with formatting,…and let me show you a different example.…I'm going to open a report in Word.…This is the Event Sales Report…also found in Chapter One in the exercise files,…and this is a report that is showing data…from one row of an Excel spreadsheet.…If you take a look at the Meeting Sales,…we would expect this to be formatted…with a dollar sign and a coma but it's not,…and we would expect to see some kind of a percentage here…that was something other than basically ridiculous.…
In the past one way to handle this…would be with Dynamic Data Exchange or DDE,…and I'm increasingly convinced that…that's not the good way to do it.…DDE is a method of retrieving data…out of a data source like Excel,…Access or another data source that retains the formatting,…but it's also old.…It's an old technology.…It was mostly replaced with a technology called OLE-DB…a decade ago,…so the longer we go the less…everything works smoothly with DDE,…so I want to show you an alternative to that.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Choosing a data source
- Creating a new data source
- Using Mail Merge with Outlook contacts
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Inserting address blocks, greetings, and other fields
- Matching fields from a data source
- Formatting numeric data and dates
- Creating personalized email messages
- Attaching Word documents to merged emails
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges: FILLIN, ASK, and IF…THEN…ELSE
Skill Level Intermediate
Forms in Depth with Word 2016with Gini von Courter1h 30m Intermediate
Office 365: Word Essential Trainingwith David Rivers5h 41m Beginner
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.