Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Fixing numeric and date formats in Word, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] The other issue we have…shows up with formatting,…and let me show you a different example.…I'm going to open a report in Word.…This is the Event Sales Report…also found in Chapter One in the exercise files,…and this is a report that is showing data…from one row of an Excel spreadsheet.…If you take a look at the Meeting Sales,…we would expect this to be formatted…with a dollar sign and a coma but it's not,…and we would expect to see some kind of a percentage here…that was something other than basically ridiculous.…
In the past one way to handle this…would be with Dynamic Data Exchange or DDE,…and I'm increasingly convinced that…that's not the good way to do it.…DDE is a method of retrieving data…out of a data source like Excel,…Access or another data source that retains the formatting,…but it's also old.…It's an old technology.…It was mostly replaced with a technology called OLE-DB…a decade ago,…so the longer we go the less…everything works smoothly with DDE,…so I want to show you an alternative to that.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Name the tab where the Mail Merge button resides on the ribbon.
- Recall the button in the New aAdress List dialog box that is used to change the columns that you use when creating a new entry.
- Explain how to select only a few rows from an Excel sheet as a data source.
- List the things that the Preview Results section on the Mailings tab lets you look at.
- Name the finishing option you should use to save the results of the merge in one file.
- Recognize the options on the Labels tab of the Envelopes and Labels dialog box.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.