Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a simple letter for Mail Merge, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] Mail Merge requires two files…and the first is what's called a primary document…created in Word.…Primary document might be a letter.…Primary document could be an email message,…but it's usually text, and sometimes a combination…of some text that will change…and text that won't change.…Here's how this works sometimes.…I'm creating a letter, and I'm thinking…oh I need to send this to Lilah and two other people,…so I'll just select Lilah's information…and I'll type in the next person.…
And that's one way to do this,…but a better way to do this is to think,…well, will I only ever send these three or four letters?…Probably not.…This is a letter that I might end up…sending to 30 or 40 more people.…Especially if we got some response to the first five…we send out.…So, rather than getting the mode of copy paste…or over typing, what I'd like to be able to do…is to create this as a mail merge document.…So, if I do that, what elements of this letter…will be different for each person I send it to?…Well, first you see the external address for Lilah Douglas…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Choosing a data source
- Creating a new data source
- Using Mail Merge with Outlook contacts
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Inserting address blocks, greetings, and other fields
- Matching fields from a data source
- Formatting numeric data and dates
- Creating personalized email messages
- Attaching Word documents to merged emails
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges: FILLIN, ASK, and IF…THEN…ELSE
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.