Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a directory, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] The final type of specialized…mail merge is a directory merge.…In older versions of Word this was called a catalog merge,…it's the same thing.…You use the directory merge feature…to create a phone directory, an email list,…a catalog of accounts or product IDs,…to create anything where you're taking…information out of a data source…and putting it into Word in a way…that we haven't handled yet.…Basically, we're making tables,…but if you imagine that you have a report…where you retrieve data from a database,…and you're struggling to format it,…you could use a directory merge…to pull that data into Word,…and have access to the formidable formatting tools…that are part of the Microsoft Word portfolio.…
I wouldn't struggle trying to bold and highlight…reports in Access if I can bring all of that…data in here and format it in Microsoft Word.…Let's see how we're going to pull…data in for this directory merge.…Start on the mailings tab, very predictable.…Choose start mail merge directory.…Not much happened.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Choosing a data source
- Creating a new data source
- Using Mail Merge with Outlook contacts
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Inserting address blocks, greetings, and other fields
- Matching fields from a data source
- Formatting numeric data and dates
- Creating personalized email messages
- Attaching Word documents to merged emails
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges: FILLIN, ASK, and IF…THEN…ELSE
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.