Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Troubleshooting mail merge, part of Mail Merge in Depth with Word 2016.
- [Voiceover] The Mail Merge finishing process…is a very straightforward process.…We just choose one of the options under Finish and Merge…and Word does all the work.…But behind the scenes, Mail Merge is a very complex process,…because we have one application, Word, requesting data…from another application, like Excel or Access or Outlook.…There are authentication and security issues…behind the scenes that we don't have to worry about.…But one of the issues that arises…when people create Mail Merge with large data files,…large data sources, is that even if you're only using…the first 100 out of 100,000 records,…you still need to have enough capacity…for Word to do the work of finding…those 100 records out of the 100,000.…
Therefore, when you're doing a Mail Merge,…it's a great time to close down other applications.…This is not a great time to be posting images to Facebook…or to be catching up on something on Netflix.…This is a good time to let Word have access…to all of the memory that it needs to do its job.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Choosing a data source
- Creating a new data source
- Using Mail Merge with Outlook contacts
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Inserting address blocks, greetings, and other fields
- Matching fields from a data source
- Formatting numeric data and dates
- Creating personalized email messages
- Attaching Word documents to merged emails
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges: FILLIN, ASK, and IF…THEN…ELSE
Skill Level Intermediate
Forms in Depth with Word 2016with Gini von Courter1h 30m Intermediate
Office 365: Word Essential Trainingwith David Rivers5h 41m Beginner
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.