Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing a data source, part of Word 2016: Mail Merge in Depth.
- [Voiceover] Word Mail Merge uses two files.…A primary document like the Merge Brochure Letter…that's open on the screen, and that's created in Word.…The second file is a data source, which is structured,…variable data that will be merged into fields…that we will place in the areas that we had highlighted…in our primary document.…With Word Mail Merge, we can choose data…from a wide range of data sources.…There are three different approaches listed…in the Start Mail Merge section under Select Recipients.…
I tend to think of these in the reverse order of usefulness.…At the top of the list is Type a New List,…followed by Use an Existing List and then…Choose from Outlook Contacts.…Let's take a look at these three different types…of data sources for our Mail Merge.…Before we do so, let me say that in my opinion…it is always better to use some type…of an existing data source.…You're only going to create a new list…if there's nothing like the list that you want…on your network or in your cloud already,…because whenever you need to sit and type a new list,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Name the tab where the Mail Merge button resides on the ribbon.
- Recall the button in the New aAdress List dialog box that is used to change the columns that you use when creating a new entry.
- Explain how to select only a few rows from an Excel sheet as a data source.
- List the things that the Preview Results section on the Mailings tab lets you look at.
- Name the finishing option you should use to save the results of the merge in one file.
- Recognize the options on the Labels tab of the Envelopes and Labels dialog box.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating Personalized Letters
2. Using Email Merge
3. Creating Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
4. Using Rules and Other Advanced Features
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.