Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Grouped products and product bundles, part of WordPress Ecommerce: WooCommerce.
- [Instructor] There are a couple different ways to show groups of products. The first is included in WooCommerce Core for free. The second is a premium plugin that has all the bells and whistles. I'll show you how to use both. Let's start with what's included in WooCommerce. I've created a new product called the New Year Bundle, and it's everything you need to get through the month of January with good health. So there will be enough vitamin water, supplements, and a guide to get you through your workout at the gym. If we go down to the Product Data tab, we can select Grouped Products.
When we do this, a whole bunch of fields disappear. That's because a Grouped Product is a container for other products, so the Grouped Product itself doesn't have a price. It's determined by what is in the group. So let's publish this product, and then we'll add items to it. I'll go up and click Update. I'll go to Other Products and I'll add them to this bundle. I'll start with the guide. Scroll down, under Linked Products, Grouping, I'll type in New Year Bundle. I'll go back and let's add a supplement.
Once again, under Linked Products, select New Year Bundle and Update. One last time for our mineral water. Now we can go view the grouped product on the front end. You'll notice that it's a list of products with a quantity selector and you can add as many or as few as you want. This is nice and convenient for users, but a store owner will want to have more control over how many products are in a group, and for that, we're going to use a premium extension called Product Bundles.
Before we start with the second method, I've reset everything so that I can start with a clean slate. I've already purchased and installed this plugin. Let's just activate it. I'm going to go back to my sites, under Plugins, I'm going to activate WooCommerce Product Bundles. Now if I go back to my product, I can select a new type. I can select Product Bundle. Notice that we get a few fields back, most importantly, we can set a price for the whole bundle.
This will give people an incentive for buying a large group of products. Let's go down to Bundled Products and add products to this bundle. Let's start with the guide, and now let's add one of our supplements, and let's lastly add the mineral water. There's a lot of advanced settings here that you could use. For the most part, you're going to want to set a minimum and a maximum. In this case, it's forcing the bundle to have one of each of these products in it. But if you wanted, you could have two supplements, or you could give people a range, one to seven.
If you do this, I recommend giving them a discount this way, but for our purposes, let's just stick with one of each. Let's save this, and if we look at the front end, it'll show me all the products. I can see pictures of each, and I can add them to the cart. If I go to the cart, they'll appear as a bundle. So I can't change the quantities or do anything else. I can either buy the bundle or not buy the bundle. And this is an overview of how to group products with WooCommerce.
- Why WooCommerce?
- Installing WooCommerce
- Setting up your store
- Adding products, including images and data
- Creating a subscription product
- Setting up shipping
- Configuring payment options
- Setting up taxes
- Customizing your theme
- Connecting Google Analytics and MailChimp
- Managing orders and reports