Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Create digital products, part of WordPress Ecommerce: WooCommerce.
- [Instructor] WooCommerce isn't just useful for physical products, it's also good for digital products. Even a mostly physical goods store may have a few digital products like a PDF guide, a training video or exercise files. At H+ Sports we have a guide that we want to sell for five dollars. I've created a new product and given it a title. Let's go ahead and add the price. And now we can look at those settings at the top of the Product Data panel, the Virtual and Downloadable checkboxes.
Those initially sound like similar terms but they do different things. Virtual means it doesn't require shipping. Since this is a downloadable guide, we want to skip shipping so let's check that checkbox. Notice that the Shipping tab disappears when we do that. Downloadable means we're sending the user files. Since this guide is definitely downloadable, let's check that. Notice that we now have Downloadable settings right here. Before we go on, there are some circumstances where something could be downloadable and not virtual such as a piece of software that you download and they send you a backup of the software on a CD to your address.
It's pretty rare but it is possible. In most cases your product will be both Virtual and Downloadable. Let's go ahead and set these download files. We can add a name and a file. I'll call mine In the Kitchen With H+ Sports. And the file URL. There it is. I'll add it to my site. Since this won't be available publicly, we don't have to worry about SEO and we can just leave the default title as is.
There's a few extra settings we can set. We can set the number of downloads or set something to have access for a limited amount of time. If you're worried about piracy, you can tweak some of these settings. You can also set the schema. Schema is meta-information about your website that helps search robots understand your site. It only takes a few seconds so it's worth doing. Standard Product will work for us. Publish the product and you'll be good. When the customer adds the product to their cart, if they have no other physical products, they'll skip the shipping section and after successful payment, they'll get an email with a link to download the file.
- Why WooCommerce?
- Installing WooCommerce
- Setting up your store
- Adding products, including images and data
- Creating a subscription product
- Setting up shipping
- Configuring payment options
- Setting up taxes
- Customizing your theme
- Connecting Google Analytics and MailChimp
- Managing orders and reports