Lisa Bock reviews and demonstrates two command line tools to work with packets, text2pcap which converts a hex dump to a capture file and capinfos which provides statistics about a capture file.
- [Instructor] Within Wireshark,…you'll see a number of files…that have to do with the basic functionality of Wireshark,…but then you see some other applications…that can be run independently.…Two applications that work well together…are Text2pcap and Capinfos.…Now, Text2pcap takes a hexdump…and converts it into a capture file.…Now, you might get a hexdump because not all applications…are capable of exporting the data into a pcap format,…so this is a handy little tool,…and then you can pull it into Wireshark for analysis.…
Now, you can also look at Capinfos.…Now, Capinfos again is a command line tool…that provides statistics about a capture file.…Now, there are a number of switches,…and once we get into the command line,…we'll take a look,…but this provides details about a single file.…I have created a little temporary directory in the C drive…and I've put in what's called DumpCaps.…And we'll open that up,…and as you can see, this is a hexdump.…Now, it doesn't make sense to anyone…because it's in hexadecimal.…
So let's take a look.…
- Tapping into the network
- Baselining the network
- Troubleshooting to discover the cause of a slow network
- Merging traffic
- Sanitizing packet captures
- Capture engines
- Optimizing packet captures
- Basic and advanced IO graphs
- TCP stream graphs
Skill Level Intermediate
Troubleshooting Your Network with Wireshark (2015)with Lisa Bock2h 35m Intermediate
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
Enhance your skills1m 5s
1. Tapping into the Stream
2. Solving Network Problems
3. Capture Engines and Wi-Fi
4. Command Line Capture
5. IO and Stream Graphs
What's next?1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.