This video explains how tcpdump works as a network traffic evidence acquisition tool.
- [Instructor] A majority of packet capture, … or sniffing tools, use a software library called … packet capture, or PCAP in short, … to sniff network data. … The Unix/Linux version of PCAP is called libpcap … while its Windows version is referred to as WinPcap. … There are two well-known tools relying on PCAP … to capture and analyze packets. … The first one is tcpdump, … a simple command-line interface packet sniffer. … The second one is Wireshark, … which is a much more sophisticated … and user-friendlier tool complete with … a graphical user interface, or GUI. … Tcpdump works on Unix/Linux operating systems. … There's also a Windows port of tcpdump called … WinDump, taking advantage of the WinPcap library. … Both tcpdump and WinDump have a similar set of … commands and options, but there are of course … subtle differences between the two tools. … Tcpdump is pre-installed on Ubuntu, … but WinDump requires a new installation … which includes setting up WinPcap. … Let's try to run WinDump without installing …
- Goals of network forensics
- Using a syslog and Microsoft Log Parser
- Investigating network traffic
- How protocol analysis works
- ARP and DNS poisoning
- Working with network forensics tools
- Using packet sniffers
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
What you should know2m 11s
1. Understanding Network Forensics
2. Preparing for a Network Forensics Investigation
3. Investigating Network Events
4. Investigating Network Traffic
5. Network Forensics Tools
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.