This video demonstrates how syslog-ng works as an example of a network logging solution.
- [Narrator] Syslog-ng is another log management … server solution. … Just like syslog, it can manage logs on a single host … or forward them to a central log server. … It's also possible to make it a dedicated log server. … Syslog-ng is a newer, open-source project … than its predecessor, syslog. … NG in syslog-ng stands for next generation. … As it's name suggests, … it tries to improve syslog with more reliability … and features. … Syslog-ng's goal is that it does all of what syslog … can offer but better, faster and much more. … One of the enhancements is it's ability … to set up advanced filters for log messages. … This function is very useful … because there are usually too many logs to store … and the filters help you pick and choose what to keep … in a more fine-grained way. … Another capability to note is processing, … meaning Syslog-ng taking an action to further prepare … the collected logs. … Syslog-ng should be able to handle … most of log management tasks if not all. … Syslog-ng doesn't come with a standard Ubuntu installation, …
- Goals of network forensics
- Using a syslog and Microsoft Log Parser
- Investigating network traffic
- How protocol analysis works
- ARP and DNS poisoning
- Working with network forensics tools
- Using packet sniffers
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
What you should know2m 11s
1. Understanding Network Forensics
2. Preparing for a Network Forensics Investigation
3. Investigating Network Events
4. Investigating Network Traffic
5. Network Forensics Tools
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.