Modern-day malware is polymorphic in nature, and can change to elude detection. Lisa Bock reviews VirusTotal, which allows you to upload a packet capture to compare it against 60 antivirus scanners.
- [Instructor] Although antivirus companies…tune their software to scan for viruses,…modern day malware is polymorphic in nature…and can change to elude detection.…A polymorphic virus is an encrypted virus…that changes in form every time it replicates…and infects a new file.…The virus uses encryption to conceal…the main body of the virus code…so that it appears meaningless to the antivirus.…
Each time the virus transfers to a new system,…it uses a different encryption decryption method.…The code continues to function in the same manner.…The virus may mutate hundreds, if not thousands of times.…Because of this, the virus is very difficult to detect.…A metamorphic virus is very complex…and very difficult to detect.…It can change its own code with each infection.…
Each iteration modifies the structure…so that the virus can infect executables…on different operating systems.…Because these types of viruses are so capable…of eluding detection, detection engines…monitor for virus-like behavior.…One valuable tool I use is VirusTotal.…
- Trends in cyberattacks
- Preventing system compromise
- Analyzing packets
- Using Wireshark
- Creating firewall rules
- Baselining a network
- Using capture filters
- Using a ring buffer
- Handling OSI layer attacks
- Identifying attack signatures
- Using VirusTotal
- Handling unwanted TOR activity
Skill Level Intermediate
Troubleshooting Your Network with Wiresharkwith Lisa Bock2h 35m Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Deep Packet Analysis
2. Capture Overview
3. Unusual Traffic
4. Case Studies
Next steps1m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.