When working with packet captures, trace files can contain sensitive information. Lisa Bock demonstrates how you can see the contents of a trace file and stresses the importance of sanitizing packet captures before sharing or posting on the web.
- [Instructor] Aside from Wireshark,…there are many other packet analysis tools and techniques…that are used in many other places such as businesses.…They monitor what we view…so they can present directed content and advertising.…And government, they use packet sniffing…to monitor for threats.…And hackers monitor and look for sensitive information…such as username and password.…
We know this so we take steps to encrypt our data…and conceal it either while it's in motion…or while it's in rest.…But what about our packet captures?…I have a little example to show you,…but if you want to follow along,…you can get this off of the website…the SampleCaptures page in the wiki on Wireshark…and this is the one I'm going to select…and I have another one that's been sanitized…and you'll need to unpack it.…
Now the first one I'm going to open has been sanitized.…Now I'll right click…and we'll follow the stream…and here you can see that the domain is concealed.…Down below, the email address is concealed.…So that's one step you can take…
- Tapping into the network
- Baselining the network
- Troubleshooting to discover the cause of a slow network
- Merging traffic
- Sanitizing packet captures
- Capture engines
- Optimizing packet captures
- Basic and advanced IO graphs
- TCP stream graphs
Skill Level Intermediate
Troubleshooting Your Network with Wireshark (2015)with Lisa Bock2h 35m Intermediate
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
Enhance your skills1m 5s
1. Tapping into the Stream
2. Solving Network Problems
3. Capture Engines and Wi-Fi
4. Command Line Capture
5. IO and Stream Graphs
What's next?1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.