When installing Wireshark, users see an option to install Npcap. Lisa Bock covers installing Npcap, which comes from the Nmap project and is the packet sniffing library for Windows.
- [Lecturer] We'll step through a typical installation…of Wireshark and we'll show what happens…when we get to the point where it wants us to install…a capture engine.…Now I'll go in here and I'll select…the Wireshark downloader, and begin the installation.…This is standard, we've done this many times.…But now when I get to this part right here, it says,…Wireshark requires either Npcap or WinPcap…to capture live network data.…
Now what I did before we started this…is I uninstalled WinPcap and I uninstalled Nnpacp…and Wireshark, so it has nothing to reference.…So as you can see, currently installed,…neither of these are installed.…So as the default install WinPcap…and if you do that, that's fine, Nnpacp actually can work…along side of WinPcap.…Here we can see get Nnpacp or learn…more about Nnpacp and WinPcap.…
And what I'm going to suggest…is you cancel out of the installation,…and really reason is it showed unexpected results…when I went through and it doing at the same time…pulling in Nnpacp and doing the installation.…
- Tapping into the network
- Baselining the network
- Troubleshooting to discover the cause of a slow network
- Merging traffic
- Sanitizing packet captures
- Capture engines
- Optimizing packet captures
- Basic and advanced IO graphs
- TCP stream graphs
Skill Level Intermediate
Enhance your skills1m 5s
1. Tapping into the Stream
2. Solving Network Problems
3. Capture Engines and Wi-Fi
4. Command Line Capture
5. IO and Stream Graphs
What's next?1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.