Lisa Bock reviews some indications of network compromise, including geolocation irregularities, unusual outbound network traffic, an increase in database read volume, and nonstandard port activity.
- (Presenter) When I get a request from someone…to look over their packet capture,…I generally ask them to tell me…what made them think there was a…problem on their system.…Many times, they cannot explain what…they feel is the problem, except they feel…that there is unusual network traffic,…and that something is not quite right.…Although you may be fairly sure…that there is something amiss on the network,…there are some indications that the network…may be under attack.…
As we can see by this website, most countries…have IP ranges specific to their location.…For example, let's select Aruba.…Here you can see IP address ranges in Aruba.…When monitoring inbound traffic,…there may be indications of unusual geographical…irregularities and attempted logins and access patterns.…It's work investigating, as when your device…picks up traffic destined to countries…outside the range of normal business activity,…this might indicate hackers are siphoning…sensitive data to another country.…
In addition, if the intrusion detection system flags…
- Trends in cyberattacks
- Preventing system compromise
- Analyzing packets
- Using Wireshark
- Creating firewall rules
- Baselining a network
- Using capture filters
- Using a ring buffer
- Handling OSI layer attacks
- Identifying attack signatures
- Using VirusTotal
- Handling unwanted TOR activity
Skill Level Intermediate
Troubleshooting Your Network with Wiresharkwith Lisa Bock2h 35m Intermediate
Learning Computer Forensics (2014)with Jungwoo Ryoo1h 57m Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Deep Packet Analysis
2. Capture Overview
3. Unusual Traffic
4. Case Studies
Next steps1m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.