Explore some common troubleshooting steps for the most widely deployed networking medium in use, copper Ethernet. Discover how using a standard laptop can dramatically speed up the troubleshooting process. Learn how cable testing devices with a range of prices and features can best be utilized. Determine if a simple loopback device can supplant complicated testing equipment in your environment.
- Troubleshooting corporate Ethernet connections…is generally a straightforward process…as long as you keep it simple.…When corporate network connections is down,…I like to eliminate the end device as the failure.…This will effectively cut the troubleshooting process…in half which can save a tremendous amount of time.…I generally begin by unplugging…the cable from the end device,…and connecting it directly to my laptop.…If the connection comes up,…then it is an issue with the device.…
If the connection is still failed,…then it will be between the cable and the switch.…Assuming that the connection issue…is from the cable to the switch,…I'll move directly to the switch to rule out cable issues.…Using a known good cable, I plug my laptop directly…into the switch port.…If the port comes up, I know the issue is with the cabling.…If the port does not come up,…I verify that the issue is within the switch.…If the switch has additional available ports,…I'd verify one of them, then move the connection.…
If I was able to verify the issue's with the cabling,…
Even if you're rusty on your OSI model knowledge, this course is invaluable if you're having trouble with your network. It offers a clear, practical troubleshooting guide to narrowing down and solving most problems related to network connectivity.
- Troubleshooting the physical layer: POTS, Ethernet, and more
- Troubleshooting the data link layer
- Troubleshooting the network layer
- Troubleshooting the transport layer
- Troubleshooting Wi-Fi
- Troubleshooting proactively