A packet capture or pcap engine provides an application programming interface, or API, to capture traffic. Lisa Bock covers capture engines that Wireshark uses, including libpcap, WinPcap, AirPcap, and Npcap.
- To effectively capture and analyze traffic,…there must be a way to gather…the raw traffic from the network.…A packet capture, or PCAP, engine provides…an application programming interface to capture traffic.…Wireshark uses one of several capture engines,…libpcap, WinPcap, AirPcap, and Npcap.…Libpcap is a capture engine originally developed…for Unix-like operating systems,…and it's baked right into Snort, tcpdump, WinDump,…and other packet analyzers to grab packets…as they come off the network interface.…
A version of libpcap was adapted…for Windows, and is called WinPcap.…WinPcap is an industry standard…that has been around for many years.…It works well in a Windows environment,…specifically the Windows NT family.…WinPcap enables packet capture right from…a network interface, and presents it to Wireshark…before any processing is done by the operating system.…
WinPcap must be installed on…a Windows operating system to capture packets.…During the installation process,…Wireshark will look for a copy of WinPcap,…and prompt the user to install it if it's not present.…
- Tapping into the network
- Baselining the network
- Troubleshooting to discover the cause of a slow network
- Merging traffic
- Sanitizing packet captures
- Capture engines
- Optimizing packet captures
- Basic and advanced IO graphs
- TCP stream graphs
Skill Level Intermediate
Troubleshooting Your Network with Wireshark (2015)with Lisa Bock2h 35m Intermediate
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
Enhance your skills1m 5s
1. Tapping into the Stream
2. Solving Network Problems
3. Capture Engines and Wi-Fi
4. Command Line Capture
5. IO and Stream Graphs
What's next?1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.