Many attacks have a specific pattern or signature. A tuned device will recognize the pattern as malicious. Lisa Bock reviews a port scan, brute force attack, and OS system fingerprinting.
- [Narrator] many attacks have a specific pattern.…A well-tuned device will recognize the pattern…as malicious and hopefully block the attack.…I want to take a look at a few types…of attack signatures so you get a feel…for what your devices will see.…The first one is Scan.pcap, in this…case there's a port scan at play.…Then what I want to make sure is…that the time values are set correctly.…I'll go to View, Time Display Format,…and the default is Seconds Since Beginning of Capture,…but I want to make sure it says…Seconds Since Previously Captured Packet.…
Now, what happens during reconnaissance…is there's first a ping sweep and it…will try to get the attention of…one or more hosts on the network.…Once it knows one is live and responding,…then it will do a port scan of that host.…In this case, as you can see there are…a number of different ports, but what…might get you confused is that it…associates it with an application.…Now, this comes from a file and if it's…distracting what we can do is take off…the Name Resolution at the transport layer.…
- Trends in cyberattacks
- Preventing system compromise
- Analyzing packets
- Using Wireshark
- Creating firewall rules
- Baselining a network
- Using capture filters
- Using a ring buffer
- Handling OSI layer attacks
- Identifying attack signatures
- Using VirusTotal
- Handling unwanted TOR activity
Skill Level Intermediate
Troubleshooting Your Network with Wiresharkwith Lisa Bock2h 35m Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Deep Packet Analysis
2. Capture Overview
3. Unusual Traffic
4. Case Studies
Next steps1m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.