This video demonstrates an evidence acquisition process using an ARP table.
- [Instructor] And so there are packets flying … in your network constantly due to the abundance … of the ARP messages and their unsecure nature, … attackers try to exploit them and they are often successful. … ARP poisoning is a good example, … it's a type of the Man-in-the-middle attack … where bad guys impersonate another host. … Here is how the attack works. … A militia's host, Eve, sends an ARP request … to an unsuspecting victim, Alice, … and provides them intentionally incorrect mapping … basically saying that its Mac is associated … with the victim's intended recipient … of a packet who is Bob. … Consequently, this request will update the ARP table … of the victim, Alice, with the false mac IP address mapping … from this on whenever the victim, Alice, sends a message … to Bob Eve will intercept it. … Eve does the same ARP poisoning exercise with Bob … and makes him think that it's Alice. … Eve still forwards the message from Alice to Bob, … but is now able to eavesdrop on all the conversations …
- Goals of network forensics
- Using a syslog and Microsoft Log Parser
- Investigating network traffic
- How protocol analysis works
- ARP and DNS poisoning
- Working with network forensics tools
- Using packet sniffers
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
What you should know2m 11s
1. Understanding Network Forensics
2. Preparing for a Network Forensics Investigation
3. Investigating Network Events
4. Investigating Network Traffic
5. Network Forensics Tools
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.