The three types of frames you can see on an 802.11 network include management, data, and control. Lisa Bock shows the three types of frames in Wireshark and creates an IO graph showing the beacon frames in the capture.
- [Instructor] On a wireless network,…there are three types of 802.11 frames.…Management frames establish connectivity.…For example, you might see beacon frames…transmitting to everyone from the wireless access point,…to all that are listening.…Data frames contain some form of data.…And control frames help with the delivery…of data and management; for example,…in a control frame, you might see…request to send, clear-to-send.…
I'm in Wireshark, and I wanted to show you…what happens when I launch a packet capture on my wi-fi.…Now I'm on a Windows machine.…Now first I'll go up to view,…and wireless toolbar, and right under there,…it says wireless controls are not supported…in this version of Wireless, but we can go over…to the preferences and, in this case,…you can see that I can enable decryption,…which I have before, and in this case,…you would put your key if you do know them.…
But we're not going to; we'll jus cancel that.…And I'll take away the wireless toolbar.…But I will begin capturing on my wi-fi network.…
- Tapping into the network
- Baselining the network
- Troubleshooting to discover the cause of a slow network
- Merging traffic
- Sanitizing packet captures
- Capture engines
- Optimizing packet captures
- Basic and advanced IO graphs
- TCP stream graphs
Skill Level Intermediate
Troubleshooting Your Network with Wiresharkwith Lisa Bock2h 35m Intermediate
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
Enhance your skills1m 5s
1. Tapping into the Stream
2. Solving Network Problems
3. Capture Engines and Wi-Fi
4. Command Line Capture
5. IO and Stream Graphs
What's next?1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.