Mixed reality is just getting started. Here's what you can look forward to over the next year, and even the next 10 years.
- By the time this course is posted online,…you may know more than the two of us do right now…about the next stage in Microsoft's…mixed reality technology.…Nevertheless, it feels important to lay out…where we're all headed with mixed reality…to help you understand how we fit into this revolution.…Funnily enough, it may be easier to predict what will happen…with mixed reality 10 years from now than it is to predict…what will happen even next year.…- In the 10-year span, as we see it, mixed reality devices…will have dropped in price to the point that they will…be common consumer devices.…
They'll be smaller and lighter, about the size…of a common pair of reading glasses, and wearable outdoors.…They'll certainly replace the smartphone as our preferred…portable computing device, and we will do with it…many of the things we currently do with the phone.…- In just a five-year span, we see mixed reality technology…being combined with artificial intelligence…to create virtual personal assistants to help you…analyze your environment and plan your schedule…
Join instructors Dennis Vroegop and James Ashley for this introduction for HoloLens app development. They show you how to set up your development environment, including Unity and the HoloToolkit; how to deploy to HoloLens and the HoloLens emulator; and how to build apps that accept user input via gazes, tapping, and speech. Then discover how to use spatial mapping to detect your surroundings and analyze your environment with spatial understanding. Learn how to implement spatial sound that adds to the user's existing environment, and synchronize data to create shared experiences. Along the way, learn how it all comes together in two simple 3D apps: a visualization for enterprise business and a platform game.
- Installing Unity, Visual Studio, and the HoloToolkit
- Building an app in Unity
- Deploying to HoloLens or the HoloLens emulator
- Gaze and tapping
- Spatial mapping and spatial understanding
- Spatial sound
- Shared holograms
- Creating 3D enterprise apps
- Creating 3D games
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up Your Development Environment
Download the HoloToolkit2m 32s
2. Basic Configuration and Deployment
3. Basic Interaction
4. Use HoloToolKit
5. Spatial Sound
6. Shared Experiences
7. Games and Enterprise Applications on the HoloLens
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.