Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with local accounts in Windows 10, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Voiceover] Now I'd like to demonstrate to you…how to add a local account to a Windows 10 PC.…At the Start menu, I'll type in users,…then I'm going to select the option for…add, edit, or remove other users.…In this interface, I'm going to click on the plus sign…next to Add someone else to this PC.…And that will bring up a Wizard.…In the first page of the Wizard,…it asks me, "How will this person sign in?"…And it's asking me to use a Windows, Office,…Outlook.com, et cetera, email address,…because it wants me to use a Microsoft account.…
But the goal of this demonstration was a local account,…not a Microsoft account.…So I'm going to go down to the bottom where it says,…"I don't have this person's sign-in information",…and I'll click on that.…Then it's saying, "Let's create your account."…So now it would like to create me a Microsoft account.…But again, that's not what I was hoping to do.…So at the very bottom, I'll click on the link…that says, "Add a user without a Microsoft account."…Then it just asked me for some basic information,…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Windows 8: Networking and Securitywith Steve Fullmer4h 27m Advanced
1. Authentication and Accounts
4. Virus and Malware
5. Network Security
6. Group Policy
Overview of Group Policy1m 56s
7. Remote Desktop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.