The Registry Editor isn't the secret trove of treasures you might think, but it's a useful place to go for changing some settings that cannot otherwise be adjusted.
- [Instructor] The registry isn't the treasure trove…of secrets the hackers want it to be.…It's obscure and cryptic, designed that way deliberately,…so while it can help resolve some Windows issues,…it's not the friendliest thing to use.…To examine or modify the registry,…run the registry editor program.…Tap the Windows key and type regedit,…R-E-G-E-D-I-T,…and choose the Registry Editor desktop app.…Click yes if you see a UAC warning.…
And here you see the registry editor window,…displaying the registry's contents in a specific structure,…like folders on a hard drive.…At the top level are five registry hives.…HK_CLASSES_ROOT is used by programs…for file association and sharing.…HKEY_CURRENT_USER contains settings…for the current user, that's you.…HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE contains settings for all users.…HKEY_USERS contains the original user settings,…items from this hive are copied…into the current user hive.…
And HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG contains hardware information…about the PC.…The purpose of all these hives and their contents is…
- Diagnosing the causes of PC issues
- Troubleshooting hardware and software
- Performing startup and system restore steps
- Accessing the Task Manager
- Using the Registry Editor
- Fixing Windows
- Checking and freeing storage
- Fixing common printer issues
- Troubleshooting audio
- Restoring network connectivity
Skill Level Beginner
What you should know1m 3s
1. PC Trouble
2. Startup and Shutdown Issues
3. Problems and Solutions: Windows
4. Problems and Solutions: Mass Storage
5. Problems and Solutions: Printer
6. Problems and Solutions: Monitors and Graphics
Troubleshooting the monitor3m 54s
7. Problems and Solutions: Peripherals
8. Problems and Solutions: Networking
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.