Join Mike Meyers for an in-depth discussion in this video Windows System Restore, part of CompTIA A+ (220-902) Cert Prep: 3 Windows Basics.
- How many times have I installed…a new piece of software or did a Windows update…or just messed with my machine a little bit…only to find the machine's locking up…or something's not working right,…and I just wish I could reverse time…and go back to before whatever I just did.…Well that is what system restore…is all about in Windows.…System restore takes your system…and makes a backup copy, sort of,…we'll keep it at sort of for right now,…of a lot of critical files.…
The reason we use system restore is that…if we do something and then we have a problem,…we can go back in time and then go…please go back to this time and get me back,…and a lot of times system restore works really, really well.…Now, system restore is in every…version of Windows on the a-plus.…There are some very subtle differences,…I'm going to be using Windows 8.1…as we talk about system restore.…First of all, let's make sure we know how to turn it on.…In Windows 8.1,…we go over to system,…and you can click on system protection…or you can click advanced system settings…
Part 3 covers the Windows operating system: all the basics you need to know to troubleshoot the inside of a PC. Author and CompTIA expert Mike Meyers takes a look under the hood at the processes, services, and tasks and provides an overview of user management, which is one of the foundations of Windows security. In Chapter 3, you'll learn some techniques for maintaining and optimizing the performances of Windows, including backup and restore procedures. Every lesson maps to a question in the critical Windows domain—an estimated 30% of the exam.
Details about the certification and the exam blueprints can be found at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a.
- What is the Windows registry?
- Understanding the boot process
- Using the Windows 8 Task Manager
- Creating and managing users
- Working in the Microsoft Management Console
- Installing and uninstalling programs
- Backing up and restoring Windows