Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Windows Defender, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Voiceover] Now let's look at Windows Defender,…which is a free tool from Microsoft provided…with Windows 10.…Off the start menu, I'll just type in defender,…and we'll see the top option is Windows Defender.…I'll click on that, and it brings up the interface.…The first tab is home.…It shows my PC is being monitored, that's good.…Off to the right, I have three options for a scan,…quick, full, or custom, and the different options…affect which files will be scanned.…
If I choose quick, it will scan the locations…that are most likely to contain a virus.…If I choose full, it will scan every file…on the entire computer, and then we also…have the option for custom.…If I choose custom and then click on Scan Now,…it will ask me which files and folders…I would like to scan, so I could go in…and scan as few or as many folders as I like,…but I'm gonna hit Cancel.…The next tab, update, is as the name suggests…how we update the definition files.…
There's one big button there.…We click on Update, the computer will contact…the Microsoft server, see if there are…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Windows 8: Networking and Securitywith Steve Fullmer4h 27m Advanced
1. Authentication and Accounts
4. Virus and Malware
5. Network Security
6. Group Policy
Overview of Group Policy1m 56s
7. Remote Desktop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.